Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Panic City

Departure Day minus two and counting. Have I started to pack? Nope. Once I start to pack, will I remember everything I will need over the next six months? Nope. Am I going to be ready by 4 p.m. on Friday when Jason appears in hat and coat, keys jinging impatiently, saying "C'mon, let's go"? Nope. In my working life I have organized some really big-ass events, involving whole symphony orchestras, so wouldn't you think I could handle a mere three-person transatlantic junket? Apparently, nope.

Well, at least we will be met at Gatwick Airport by my stalwart husband, who has just purchased a nice little '94 Hyundai Lantra, pictured here:



Little-old-gentleman-driven, 132,000 miles, trunk space for a couple of big suitcases, reasonable head- and leg-room for our gigantic children, and the dealer will buy it back from us at the end of our stay. All this, and only $80 to fill the tank. (Which could explain why a 15-year-old car has only 132,000 miles on it.)

Tomorrow I will see and say bye-bye to my beautiful little grandson Hayden. That's going to hurt. What kind of a Grandma disappears across the ocean mere months before a guy's first birthday? Who could do that to a guy who looks like this?



Wish me luck. After kissing those sweet little cheeks goodbye, packing will seem easy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wishing you a safe journey and an exciting and fun filled time on the other side of the Atlantic just in time to escape our Canadian winter. Looking forward to your next postings together again as a foursome.

Unknown said...

Bon Voyage, Marsha. Here's hoping the wretched weather straightens itself out for your journey and your farewells go well. Remember, if you forget to pack it, it can't be too important and there are lots of shops in England. TTFN, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm worried about whether you actually got away. I am sure you must be there by now and happy to see John. Can you send me your email address that you are using again - 'cause like dummy, I erased it.
Cheers!
J.